Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Nice to meet you!

Hi! Welcome to our blog. My name is Christina Ansoorian, and I'm one of your two hosts. I want to talk with students, parents, and educators about math, math education, and standardized testing.

I am currently a private math tutor in New York City, serving students in Manhattan. In past years I have also been a high school math teacher, and I have helped to develop math curriculum that is still in use in numerous school districts across the country. I care deeply about what students are learning in their mathematics classes, and how they are learning it.

The background that led me here started at a young age with passions for all things scientific and mathematical. I graduated from MIT in 1993 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Physics. After college, I spent several unsatisfying years doing computer programming before becoming a teacher. I have taught at three very different public schools in the Seattle area, including a large traditional high school, a smaller alternative high school, and a resource center for homeschooling students in grades K-12. I found that I loved teaching students, and in particular I loved teaching students mathematics. I also founded a tutoring business that had two Seattle locations. After relocating to New York, I worked for a firm that helped to develop standards-aligned curriculum for struggling school districts across the country. As an active member of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, I follow changes in education policy and education pedagogy. As a tutor, I also stay aware of the various standardized tests that my students may need to take over the years.

I hope that with this blog, I can provide students, parents, and educators with useful information and interesting things to think about. If you like what you read, or if you want to see something different, please let me know.

No comments: